EACH discussion post must be at least 300 words and must have 1-2 proper scholarly citations and a list of all references. MUST USE APA STYLE
2. What effect does vaping during pregnancy have on a developing fetus? Does eating too much sugar during pregnancy have an impact? There are many types of environmental influences on prenatal development. Some positive and others negative. In this discussion, choose one of the following categories to explore:
- Teratogens—substances taken or absorbed by the mother during pregnancy that produce fetal deformities.
- Nutrition—the impact of abundance or lack of sufficient supply.
- Stress—the impact of stress hormones on an infant’s neuroendocrine system.
Using the assigned readings or other professional literature, describe and discuss one example of an environmental influence on prenatal development.
- What is the effect on a developing fetus?
- Does timing, dosage, or genetics play a part? Are there other factors?
3.This week we focused on cognitive and social-emotional development in early childhood and the processes that promote positive development as well as risk factors that negatively impact development. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts:
- Multiple theories exist that attempt to explain the processes related to early cognitive development. Select two theories and compare and contrast them. Consider and present evidence for ways they are supported and refuted in the literature.
- How might the development and differentiation of emotions during the first three years of life coincide with, or even contribute to, the development of milestones in other domains of development?
4.Research a behavior that represents risky behaviors as children emerge from middle childhood to adolescence. Discuss the individual, cultural, and environmental contexts that help professionals understand the emergence of specific behaviors. Discuss developmental theories that can help explain the adaptive and maladaptive aspects of those behaviors.
5. This week we focused on development in adolescence. Adolescence marks a transition period from childhood to adulthood with important physical, emotional, and cognitive changes occurring. Peers and family each have a role in helping the adolescent develop their unique identity. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts.
- Describe the expected cognitive changes that are important in understanding adolescent development (e.g., changes in executive functioning, formal operational thinking, metacognitive thinking). Address differences in the development of these changes related to gender or culture that are discussed in the scholarly literature.
- Recent advances in brain research have provided important information about the development of an adolescent’s brain. Select a topic of interest (e.g., sleep, stress, etc) and discuss how that topic impacts adolescent brain development.
6. Middle adulthood is characterized by gains and losses. It is a time of senescing or growing down where health issues and declines in some types of cognitive functioning appear. It is also a time when there are opportunities for growth, adaptation, and change. What are termed age-graded changes relate to physical changes, cognitive changes, and life-course changes that progressively occur in one’s late 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s? History-graded changes that place individuals in cohorts based on their year of birth reflect the realities of the times. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts:
- Discuss Baltes’s theory on the gains and losses in middle adulthood. Choose one example, and elaborate on the processes of growth, maintenance, and regulation of loss that can be adaptive for development at this stage.
- Describe how age-graded changes and history-graded changes help to explain development during this stage. Be sure to provide examples of each type of change.
7. People from multiple areas of psychology take this course which means that concepts related to lifespan development are and will be used in different ways. Think about your own specialization. What aspects of the theory and research related to lifespan development are most relevant to your own specialization? Are there any themes that emerged that are most meaningful for you? How can you apply this information to your current and future work? I am currently a program manager at an adolescent mental health facility.
1. What did you learn about this week that grabbed your attention or caused you to think more deeply about it? You may have come to Capella with a strong understanding of what you would like to do with your master’s degree, or maybe you are still in the exploring stage. Either way, now, at the beginning of your journey, is a good time to start developing and refining your vision for your career in psychology. Use what you learned from the Articulating Your Purpose activity and what you learned about being a practitioner-scholar to complete this discussion.
- What interested you about the role of a practitioner-scholar within the field of psychology.
- Write a paragraph summarizing your vision of your career as a practitioner-scholar in psychology.
- Be sure to include information from the Articulating Your Purpose activity.
- Consider how the scholar-practitioner learning model can guide your professional development, encouraging you to investigate and critically evaluate relevant theory and research to determine effective best practices that you will use on the job.
- How does your role as a practitioner-scholar impact your time management action plan? Based on your results on the time management action plan, what adjustments do you think you will need to make to succeed in your studies?
- How does University Policy 4.02.02: Learner Code of Conduct apply to your ethics as a practitioner-scholar?
2. You may not have thought about using the library as a set of skills, but those skills can save you time and mental energy as you progress through your program and in your career. Now that you have chosen your research question and begun searching the library databases for next week’s assignment, spend some time sharing your research question and your experiences using the library databases.
- What topic and research question did you pursue?
- How is your research question relevant to your passions and interests in psychology and to your purpose?
- Reflecting on the Library Research Knowledge Assessment, what skill areas were recommended for improvement and what skill areas did you do well on?
- What strategies did you use to locate relevant articles?
- Did you find Boolean commands (for example, AND, OR) confusing? What tips would you give others for learning these commands?
- What insights did you gather about your research question?
- What conclusions did you come to about the role of research in your future career vision?
If you had any trouble selecting and refining your topic or creating a research question, use this discussion to receive support from your peers and instructor to work through your challenges.
3.What did you learn about this week that grabbed your attention or caused you to think more deeply about it? In previous weeks, you located and evaluated high-quality research to support your practice in the field of psychology. This week, you added critical thinking tools to your repertoire to further critique research and its relevance to research questions and practice. You were introduced to the following models that support critical thinking:
- Bloom’s Taxonomy.
- Facione’s Critical Thinking: What it Is and Why it Counts [PDF].
- Paul and Elder’s elements of thought from Analytic Stage of Thinking.
For this discussion:
- What interested you about these theories?
- How do they play a role in your personal or professional life?
- How do you see them applied in the world around you or in current events?
- How could you imagine using each model as a practitioner-scholar working in your specialization?
If you have any trouble understanding these models or the strategies in the article, Promoting Cognitive Complexity in Graduate Written Work, use this discussion to receive support from your peers and instructor to work through your challenges.
4. Ethics is a central concept to any career in psychology. Ethical issues are sometimes unclear, and solutions to ethical dilemmas are often difficult to determine. As a professional in psychology, it is important to know how to identify an ethical issue, think through possible solutions, and find the resources necessary to guide your choices.
For this discussion, select one case study from Ethics Case Studies by Specialization [PDF] that is applicable to your future career vision in the field. It is important to understand that these are actual, real life events that happened and that have ethical issues. Then review this week’s readings on ethical principles, standards, and codes of conduct. Consider also the questions and information from your professional interview.
In your initial post, share your insights about ethical principles in psychology by responding to the following questions:
- What do you see as the ethical issue or issues involved in the case study you reviewed? Cite the relevant elements from the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct or the BACB’s Professional and Ethical Compliance Code for Behavior Analysts [PDF] to support your analysis.
- What steps would you take to attempt to resolve the issue?
- How does this issue, as well as the other ethical standards, relate to your future career in psychology?
- What interested you about this issue?
5. For this discussion, reflect on how far you have come in your understanding of the psychology profession and the actions you will take to make a contribution in the field.
In your post:
- Discuss which course activities and readings were most helpful to you:
- What useful career information did you came away with?
- How do you think you will use critical thinking, research skills, and competencies that were emphasized in the course when you are working as a psychologist?
- How do you think you might use the services of Capella’s Career Center to help you stay focused on your professional goals, now and throughout your program?
- Explain how you will contribute to your field and the welfare of your clients when you are a working psychologist.
- Specify ways in which you envision yourself giving back to your community beyond practicing in field.
Be sure to cite course readings to support your statements.