DO NOT WORRY – NOT LONG, JUST LOOKS THAT WAY WITH ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS. PLEASE MAKE THIS TWO DIFFERENT DOCUMENTS.
ASSIGNMENT ONE IS 1 PAGE, APA CITATION, USE ONLY CHAPTERS 8 AND 9, NO OUTSIDE SOURCES
PART A: CONSIDERING THE CHALLENGES ADDRESSED IN CHAPTERS 8 AND 9 IN ADDITION TO REFLECTING OVER YOUR OWN OBSERVATIONS AND LIFE EXPERIENCE, WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER TO BE SOME OF THE GREATEST ISSUES THAT PARENTS FACE TODAY?
- Our book presents many of them and you are not limited to this; you may bring up any challenges that you see that you want to bring up in this discussion and do your best to make course connections to these insights.
PART B: NOW ON THE FLIP-SIDE, WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE STRENGTHS AMONG TODAY’S PARENTS AND 21ST-CENTURY CHILD-REARING BASED ON THE CHAPTER READINGS IN ADDITION TO YOUR OWN OBSERVATIONS/EXPERIENCE? IN SHORT, WHAT ARE TODAY’S PARENTS DOING WELL REGARDING RAISING THEIR CHILDREN?
- Once again the book does mention and discusses a few but again, you are not limited to these alone and may share your views as well.
- Remember course application is important and needed when responding to these questions.
I do realize our text provides plenty of discussion regarding the difficulties but they do note positive changes and trends taking place too 🙂 Do your best to give fairly equal discussion to both parts because they both carry equal weight. For example: do not discuss 3 challenges and then only 1 strength.
Please note: I find most students discuss the challenges in greater length and with more examples and tend to be brief and more generic when it comes to the strengths… not sure why
ASSIGNMENT TWO, `1-2 PAGES, APA, PLEASE USE FORMAT BELOW, CHAPTER 10, RESOURCES MUST INCLUDE PBS VIDEO, CHAPTER 10, COMPANY SITE —AND ANY OTHER IF NEEDED.
Documentary : https://www.pbs.org/video/to-the-contrary-9-to-5-n…
AFTER WATCHING THE DOCUMENTARY AND CHAPTER 10, YOU WILL NEED TO CHOOSE A COMPANY TO RESEARCH…
With what you learned from the documentary and chapter 10, each member of the group will research one company. It can be any company you are interested in or research a company you would like to work for in the future if you have an idea of what you want to do post-college–you may not and that’s ok! You will need to go to their company’s website and review their policies and benefits provided to their employees as it relates to paid time off, sick leave or personal time off (PTO), child care, flexible work schedules, maternity/paternity leave, wellness programs, perks, company awards (e.g., “Top Work Places” or Forbes “Best Places to Work”), and other relevant methods designed to achieve a healthy work-life balance; particularly ones relevant to what chapter 10 presented and the PBS film, “9 to 5: No Longer”.
Therefore this is not so much about presenting company benefits like health insurance and if they offer a 401k but researching the culture and philosophy of the company and how it translates into how they treat their employees through available benefits, policies, and programs. Be sure to learn specifics as all US companies give time off, are required to follow federal laws related to FMLA, offer healthcare, etc. This means you may have to pick up the phone or email someone in HR as their websites will be generic about what they offer. You may also consult a database or a recruiting site like Glassdoor.com in addition to the company’s website. You must research the company’s website–DO NOT rely on Glassdoor or Indeed.com alone for your information.
Please Note: Do NOT copy and paste such benefits and policies directly from a website you are using but present them in your own words. Also, if the company you are researching does not provide a lot of information or you are unable to find the companies benefits and policies, please choose another one. Also, Do NOT simply state that they offer health care and paid time off, it is important to know how much is the employee’s share for health care each month? Or for example, share how long you have to wait to use vacation, or can you accrue more weeks each year the longer you are there.
FORMAT FOR ASSSIGNMENT TWO AND MUST BE USED
FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT, THERE IS A PRESCRIBED FORMAT:
- Introduction–which company you have chosen and why.
- Body of your post: research your company to find the answer to these questions and make connections as much as possible to chapter 10 and the PBS documentary.
- What kind, if any, Health & Wellness benefits and programs does the company offer?
- What kind of Family & Parenting benefits and programs such as maternity/paternity leave, working from home options, on-site childcare, and so forth?
- Vacation & time off such as holidays, sabbaticals, sick days
- Perks & Discounts for employees such as gym membership, free food, company social events. Some companies have amazing perks to boost morale, retain employees, attract the best talent, and generate creativity.
- Any awards or honors your company has received for being a great place to work
- Make sure you establish throughout your post that you make comparisons/connections concerning how your company’s policies and benefits relate to what we learned in chapter 10 AND the PBS documentary. THIS IS CRITICAL. Without application and discussion of chapter 10 and the PBS film, your post cannot receive full marks.
- Conclusion: your assessment of whether this company is family-friendly or not and why based on your research, and also include any recommendations and issues presented in the PBS film in addition to chapter 10 that support your assessment.