Privilege and Disadvantage Exercise
- Provide a list of the different kinds of privileges you experience based on any of the following social dimensions: race, gender, religion, social class, sexual orientation, and disability.
- If you are not privileged in any of these ways, use a friend or relative who has privilege in one of these categories.
Once you have completed your list, provide your answers to the following questions (in 1 paragraph per question or approximately 500 words total).
- How do your privileges (or lack of privileges) affect your life, your ability to achieve your goals and success?
- Which of the privileges from your list do you believe are unavailable to some people because they belong to a particular group? List the group(s). Why do you think it is that they are unavailable?
- What privileges are unavailable to you that other people from certain groups enjoy? List each privilege and the group “you believe” has access to it.