Identify the flawed logic in the arguments below by selecting one of the following logical fallacies:
- Ad Hominem (Personal Attack)
- Hasty Generalization
- Begging the Question
- False Analogy
- Either/Or Simplification (False Dichotomy)
- The people who favor the tax-increase bill will give you lots of reasons why they think it should be passed. But, in fact it is a lousy bill that should be defeated because it Senator Whitney Berton supports it. You know him, the guy who is widely suspected of being guilty of tax evasion.
- Students from Jefferson High School are all so friendly and helpful. I’m sure of this because just last week I got lost and a very helpful and friendly student got me all straightened out.
- Despite the women’s movement in the 1970s, women still do not receive equal pay for equal worth. Obviously, all such attempts to change the status quo are doomed to failure.
- We could improve the undergraduate experience with co-ed dorms since both men and women benefit from living with the opposite gender.
- It should be against the law to fire a woman because she gets pregnant. They don’t fire a man for fathering a child.
- Legalization of abortion will lead to murder of the old and the physically and mentally handicapped.
- We may support this petition for a Gender Studies major, or we may turn our backs on progress, reject the petition and suffer the consequences.